The Certificate in Nonprofit Management is a joint venture between NPSolutions and University of Massachusetts Global (UMass Global), designed to prepare participants for leadership positions with nonprofit organizations.
Increase your impact and receive a university certificate and 3.0 CEUs from UMass Global and Nonprofit Solutions. This 12-week, 30-hour program examines the fundamental governance and management skills required to lead mission-driven organizations in the 21st century. This is a great opportunity to enhance your career opportunities and organizational success.
It is generally offered twice a year, each Spring and Fall, as an instructor-led online course. Led by a nonprofit veteran, you work with a small group of nonprofit professionals. We make the theoretical learning very practical so you can implement your learning right away by completing a final project of your choice to help your organization and/or your career aspirations. Take advantage of this highly reputable program that has already changed the careers of so many.
$800 for Members | $900 Non-members
Sessions & Topics
Session 1: Class Overview and Expectations; History of the Nonprofit Sector
- An overview of the nonprofit or third sector. Topics include: history of nonprofit sector in the United States, legal distinctions of nonprofit organizations, and contemporary management trends
Session 2: Governance, Accountability and Regulation
- An overview of the role and responsibility of the board of directors in a nonprofit organization. Topics include the differences between governance and management, legal obligations of board members, and best practices.
Session 3: Mission Alignment/Strategic Planning/Evaluation
- An exploration of the importance of strategic thinking, planning, and processes in sustainability and mission achievement.
Session 4: Leadership/Management
- An exploration of the differences between leadership and management as well as the cultural, gender, and generational differences that exist.
Session 5: Human Resources
- An introduction to human resources. Topics include compliance with State and Federal employment laws, tactical efficiency and strategic decision-making in human resource management.
Session 6: Project Work Session
- This structured session involves participants workshopping their project drafts with peers and the instructor for feedback.
Session 7: Financial Management
- An introduction to financial management essentials in nonprofit organizations. Nonprofit accounting vocabulary and structures, budgets, internal controls and oversight.
Session 8: Marketing and Branding
- An examination of the basic elements of the marketing process of nonprofit organizations. Topics include the interplay of branding, marketing, and public relations for organizational positioning.
Session 9: Resource Development
- An examination of the basic essentials of finding and cultivating the financial resources that support sustainability and mission achievement.
Session 10: Advocacy
- An overview of the role of advocacy in nonprofit organizations. Topics include the different forms of advocacy, the rules regarding grassroots lobbying, and the importance of cultivating relationships with elected officials and others.
Session 11: Technology
- An examination of the role of technology and its impact in nonprofit organizations. Topics include data, constituent, and program management, and social media and website management.
Session 12: Class
- Project Presentations & Feedback